Sunday, November 30, 2008

I am finding the term “Clintonistas" being used more often. In the past the term “Clintonistas” was used as a stereotypical and racist attempt to label all Latinos as leftist liberals, something to which I am sure the Cuban community, for example, would object. Latinos, like any other ethnic group, are represented by diverse races, cultures and political beliefs. As a Latina and former Clinton appointee I refuse to be labeled with a term that evokes visions of leftist Sandinistas. First Mary Maitalin coined the term in 1992, I took her to task then in my op-ed piece in the New York Times. Last week Tom Brokaw used the term in Meet the Press. Now the term is used by a Latino. What have we come to; when slurs, coined by Republicans, engineered to make all democrats look like communist are repeated by one of our own? Did we not suffer enough slings and arrows in the Presidential campaign?

No comments: